According to the ASPCA, approximately 3.4 million cats enter shelters every year in the US – and of those, only 100,000 are reunited with owners, another 1.3 million are adopted – and a heartbreaking 1.4 million cats are euthanized in shelters every year.
That’s why they have declared June to be Adopt a Shelter Cat Month! If you have room in your home, heart, and life, here are 24 great reasons to consider adding a cat (or two!) to your family this June:
- Cats are adorable.
- Cat owners are 40% less likely to have a heart attack.
- Owning a cat has been shown to help with the symptoms of depression.
- They are meticulous groomers.
- Petting a cat reduces stress and lowers blood pressure.
- The entertainment value of cats cannot be overstated!
- Cats can tell when you are sad and anxious, and dial up the love in response.
- From apartments to palaces, cats fit in any sized home.
- They fit in with almost anyone – kids, dogs, other cats – they’re agreeable like that.
- Think of all the great videos you can make together!
- Housebreaking takes about a minute, and they’re easy to clean up after.
- Studies show cats go with the flow and let you dictate the level of interaction.
- They love to play!
- They’re great hunters.
- Cats are easy to please and are the embodiment of contentment.
- They have been shown to help p